Live updates

Rangers set to sign Port Vale goalkeeper

Jak Alnwick is set for Rangers. Credit: PA

Rangers are closing in on the signing of Port Vale goalkeeper Jak Alnwick. The 23-year-old was at Rangers' training ground on Monday for a medical.

Rangers are understood to have submitted a £250,000 offer for the former Newcastle player on Friday and negotiations over the payment structure appear to have been successful.

League One Vale's caretaker manager, Michael Brown, admitted at the weekend that Alnwick had probably played his last game for the club.

The deal will likely allow Matt Gilks to move on in search of more regular first-team football.


Anthony Grant handed five game ban over referee rant

Port Vale midfielder Anthony Grant has been handed an additional five-game ban and fined £2,000 following his recent dismissal against Fleetwood.

Grant has been hit with a further five game ban. Credit: Reuters

Grant was sent off for a second yellow card in the 89th minute by referee John Brooks in Vale's 2-1 home win on November 12 and went back on to the pitch to remonstrate with the official after the final whistle.

He served a one-game suspension when sitting out Saturday's defeat at Charlton, but will now be unavailable until the home game against Walsall on Boxing Day.

"Following discussions held (on Monday), the Football League have come to a decision regarding Vale midfielder Anthony Grant, following events that occurred after the conclusion of Vale's recent home fixture against Fleetwood Town," read a statement on Vale's official website.

"The player, who served a one-match sending off after receiving a second yellow card during the match, will serve a further five-match suspension and he has been ordered to pay a £2,000 fine.

"The suspension will come into force with immediate effect, starting with Tuesday night's home fixture against Oldham Athletic."

Port Vale 'fully supports' police action against fans

Football club Port Vale has said it would fully back any police action against any of its fans involved after trouble broke out between fans of Wolverhampton Wanderers and the team.

Port Vale fans after promotion to League One. Credit: Clint Hughes/PA

Port Vale club secretary Bill Lodey said: "The club are bitterly disappointed regarding the violence that has been reported in Burslem town centre.

"We will fully support any actions taken by the police in apprehending those responsible and they can expect severe penalties."


'Disappointment' over trouble between football fans

Police has said they are "disappointed" a "significant number" of football fans decided to cause trouble when Port Vale played rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers in League One today.

Chief Inspector Dave Bird, of Staffordshire Police, said:

We are disappointed by the actions of this significant number of so-called fans who attended today's fixture intent on becoming involved in disorder.

All those arrested will be questioned about their actions and CCTV evidence from today will be examined by officers.

The behaviour of this significant minority doesn't represent the club or our city.

Football disorder after Port Vale vs Wolves match

Police have been pelted with bottles and missiles after trouble broke out between football fans following a highly-charged local derby game.

Officers arrested 23 people when Port Vale entertained rivals Wolverhampton Wanderers in League One today.

Port Vale's Lee Hughes and Wolverhampton Wanderers' Danny Batth Credit: Jon Buckle/EMPICS Sport

Staffordshire Police said it was "confronted by a significant group of home fans" involved in "violent disorder" who had gone out of their way to target police lines.

The force is now scouring CCTV from the day's fixture, which Wolves won 3 - 1, in a bid to trace everybody who had a hand in causing trouble.

Port Vale said it would fully back any police action against any of its fans involved.

23 fans arrested after Port Vale vs Wolves match

Officers from Staffordshire police have confirmed that 23 people have been arrested following disorder after the Port Vale vs Wolverhampton Wanderers match.

Man arrested after car drives into Port Vale fans

A man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after a hit-and-run incident involving football fans on their way to a match.

Two Port Vale fans were taken to hospital after they were hit by a car as the waited in a taxi rank outside Rochdale train station.

Port Vale chairman Norman Smurthwaite tweeted yesterday:

Police said: "Shortly after 2.45pm on Saturday 13 April 2013, a car that was travelling around the mini roundabout outside Rochdale Train Station collided with two men.

"A 27-year-old man has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder. He has been bailed until 14 July 2013 pending further inquiries."

An eyewitness told the Daily Mail: "Me and three mates got to Rochdale train station about 2.40pm on Saturday and ordered a taxi. While we were waiting a red car with three men inside sped into the rank and drove into the Port Vale fans.

"The car then sped off and the driver had a grin on his face."