Up to 138,000 people are killed by a venomous bite each year, and of those who survive, 400,000 suffer life-changing injuries.Read the full story ›
The pet found itself travelling solo on a service in Paisley, Renfrewshire.Read the full story ›
Australian Tony Harrison said he had never seen anything like it in 26 years of snake catching.Read the full story ›
Owners of small dogs have been warned to keep their pets on a lead after a woman said she spotted a 6ft snake in an Essex wood.Read the full story ›
Electricians found the two fried snakes in an electrical box in North Carolina.Read the full story ›
An American pastor who starred in a National Geographic reality TV show focused on his exploits at a snake-handling church has died of a poisonous snakebite.
Pastor Jamie Coots, the main star of Snake Salvation, was bitten on the finger at a Kentucky church service on Saturday night and died at his home two hours later, NBC News reported.
Police said he refused medical treatment because of his religious beliefs.
National Geographic said a "special tribute" to Pastor Coots will be aired "so people can see he died doing what he believed was his calling".
The spokesman said the channel had no plans for another series of the reality show.
A pensioner who kept almost 200 snakes in her semi-detached house has been banned from keeping reptiles for a year following a prosecution which has cost the RSPCA more than £150,000.
Pauline Wallace, 64, admitted keeping the animals in poor conditions at her home in York, including 114 in her bedroom.
Today, at York Magistrates' Court, Wallace was given a 12-month community order with supervision as well as the reptile-keeping ban.
Phil Browne, prosecuting for the RSPCA, told the bench the charity has incurred costs of £156,000 since they discovered Wallace's huge colony of at least 186 snakes.
Mr Browne said that it was costing the society between £7,000 and £16,000 a month to house 60 of the reptiles that were seized and did not have to be put down.
Police investigating what they thought was a break in at a charity shop in Queensland, Australia discovered the culprit was a 19-foot python.
Investigators suspect the python, which has a head the size of a small dog, entered the store through the roof, which was damaged in a cyclone.
The snake plummeted through the ceiling, knocking over dishes and clothes. It then somehow managed to hide from until staff spotted it lying alongside a wall the next day.