Live updates

Trump offers condolences to St. Petersburg metro victims

The scene earlier at Tekhnologichesky Institut subway station in St Petersburg Credit: AP

Donald Trump has offered his condolences to the victims of the St Petersburg metro explosion.

According to the White House the US President called his Russian counterpart Vladimir Putin on Monday to offer "the full support of the United States government in responding to the attack and bringing those responsible to justice."

Vladimir Putin lays flowers at St Petersburg memorial

Russia President Vladimir Putin has laid a floral tribute at a impromptu memorial to the victims of a bomb blast on the St Petersburg metro station.

Mr Putin happened to be in Russia's second-largest city for a meeting with his Belarusian counterpart Alexander Lukashenko when the explosion took place.

Advertisement

Russia authorities 'identify suspected bomber'

Police cordon off Sadovaya Square in St Petersburg shortly after the blast. Credit: AP

Authorities in Russia have initially identified the suspect behind the St Petersburg metro blast.

They believe a young person, believed to a 23-year-old man from Central Asia and linked with radical Islamists, was a suicide bomber and carried an explosive device onto the train in a rucksack.

Police believe the same man, not a second suspect, planted a bomb at another subway station that was defused before it went off.

Flowers and candles left at St Petersburg memorial

A policeman stands near a tribute to the victims of the St Petersburg metro blast. Credit: PA

Floral tributes and candles have been left by mourners in memory of the victims of the metro bombing in St Petersburg.

The tributes were left at an improvised memorial on Moskovsky Prospekt Street near the entrance to Tekhnologichesky Institute station.

Advertisement

Russia PM: St Petersburg blast was terrorist attack

Dmitry Medvedev, photographed earlier this year. Credit: AP

Russia Prime Minister Dmitry Medvedev has described the blast on the St Petersburg metro station as a "terrorist attack".

In a post on his twitter account, Mr Medvedev sent his "most sincere condolences to the families and relatives of the victims of the explosion" and said the injured would be given "all necessary assistance".

Sorry, this content isn't available on your device.

Paris officials increase security following St Petersburg blast

Police officers stand on patrol at a Paris metro station earlier this year. Credit: AP

Officials in Paris have increased security at public transport locations "as a precautionary measure" following the explosion in a St Petersburg underground tunnel on Monday.

In a statement, the interior ministry said: "Following the events in the St. Petersburg metro, and as a precautionary measure, Interior Minister Matthias Fekl has decided to redeploy security means in public transport across the Paris region.

"Amid an extremely high terrorism threat, the government continues to take measures to protect the French people."

Load more updates