Live updates

Advertisement

Advertisement

Police appeal over child rapist on run for three weeks

Police have today issued an appeal to track down a child rapist who has been missing for almost three weeks.

Police have appealed for the public's help to catch missing child rapist Abdelouaheb Delhoum. Credit: Wiltshire Police

Abdelouaheb Delhoum was freed on bail by a judge on May 1 after being convicted of sex offences - including the rape of a child under 13.

He was ordered to return to Swindon Crown Court for sentencing on June 13 but the 45-year-old failed to turn up at court.

Wiltshire Police released a picture of the Algerian-born defendant 19 days after he went missing.

Delhoum lived in Headington, Oxfordshire and committed the offences in Swindon between 2009 and 2012.

A police spokesman said: "Abdelouaheb Delhoum was convicted of two counts of sexual assault on a child under 13, three counts of inciting a child under 13 to engage in sexual activity and one count of rape of a child under 13 years.

"Delhoum was convicted at Swindon Crown Court on May 1 and was released on conditional bail until June 13 but he has not returned or made contact with police since."

Mayor of Swindon resigns over 'mongol sex' remark

The mayor of Swindon has resigned after coming under attack for referring to disabled people as "mongols".

Conservative councillor Nick Martin was reprimanded last week after Labour councillors at a training meeting reported him saying: "Are we still letting mongols have sex with each other?"

The mayor made a public apology on BBC Wiltshire on Friday, but today he said it was "best for the people of Swindon" that he stand down from the prestigious post.

Nick Martin said he was trying to ask a valid question about disability issues. Credit: Swindon Borough Council

"Following the accusations against me, I have accepted the findings, I have made new apologies. However, it is clear that this will not stop the attacks on the Office and person of Mayor," Martin wrote in a letter to a Swindon Borough Council director.

The councillor, who was criticised by disability charity Scope over the remarks, previously explained that he made the comments in at attempt to learn more about the sex lives of people with Down's syndrome.

"I was trying to understand whether we assist those people to procreate. I happened to use an old-fashioned word. I'm over 60 and I made a mistake," Martin told ITV News yesterday.

Load more updates