Advertisement

  1. ITV Report

Woman sets herself on fire storing petrol

Diane Hill Photo:

A woman has accidentally set herself on fire after pouring petrol from one container to another in her home in York. Diane Hill was in the kitchen near a gas cooker when it happened leaving her with 40 per cent burns. It comes days after the Government Minister Francis Maude suggested people should store petrol in jerry cans ahead of any potential fuel strike. He has since apologised.

The accident happened on a street in the Moorgate area of the city.

Scene of accident Credit: ITV
Diane Hill

Some of the woman's neighbours described the moment they realised she was seriously hurt.

The woman was taken to a specialist burns unit at the Pinderfields Hospital near Wakefield where she's being treated for 40 per cent burns to her body. The fire service have warned of the dangers of keeping petrol in the home.

Events in York have prompted a fresh warning from the fire service who are asking people to consider how they store fuel. The advice is that if you are going to store it to make sure it is placed in suitable containers and stored away from your home.

The Prime Minister David Cameron said today that his thoughts are with Diane Hill and her family.