Northumbria student dies after 'drink spiked' on a German exchange trip

Northumbria student Jane Khalaf Credit: Mercury Press

A Northumbria university student from Yorkshire collapsed and died after her drink was allegedly spiked with ecstasy during a carnival in Germany.

Jane Khalaf, 19, collapsed at St Marien Hospital in Cologne after telling friends she believed somebody had laced her drink with deadly drugs.

Northumbria student Jane Khalaf Credit: Mercury Press

Her condition deteriorated and she was put on a life support machine after being transferred to the Kliniken der Stadt Koln on November 12.

Her parents, restaurant owners Rojin and Khalil, travelled from their home in Shelley, Huddersfield, West Yorks, to be by their daughter's bedside.

They had only discovered she was ill after finding out on Facebook and are angry no authorities tried to contact them.

Northumbria student Jane Khalaf Credit: Mercury Press

Jane died eight days later and tests found amphetamine and ecstasy in her blood.

Her body has been flown back to the UK where Home Office pathologists will carry out a post mortem examination.

Jane, a first year politics student at Northumbria University, was in Cologne on an exchange trip after being selected for her aptitude.

She began her studies in September and had only been away from home for two months before she died.

Her distraught parents, who own the Med One restaurant in Huddersfield, are furious at the way they were treated by German authorities.

Northumbria student Jane Khalaf Credit: Mercury Press