Family warn cat owners of rat poison danger

Candy the cat nearly died after eating rat poison Credit: VetPartners Ltd

A County Durham vet is warning of the dangers of rat poison after a familycat nearly died.

Candy, a three-year- old tabby, spent three days fighting for her life as staff from Prince Bishop Veterinary Hospital in Leadgate, near Consett, battled round the clock to save her.

She as brought in looking weak and lethargic, and tests showed she wasextremely anaemic after losing blood.

Her family live near the River Wear in Wolsingham in County Durham - and owners Louise and Andrew Marshall suspected Candy may have eaten rat poison – or a rodent that had ingested the toxic substance.

Candy is now back home with her family, after recovering from her ordeal.

Prince Bishop veterinary nurses Amy Chaytor (pale green top) and Carl Huscroft (dark green top), who helped to treat Candy, with the Marshall family. Parents Louise and Andrew Marshall and their daughters Daisy, 12, and Gemma, 30 Credit: VetPartners Ltd

“Candy’s life was on a knife-edge for three days and we didn’t know if she would live or die.

Vet Dr Molyneux

Pets owners are now being warned to be extra vigilant about the dangers of rat poison, and Dr Molyneux urged anyone who thinks their cat or dog has ingested the toxic substance to seek immediate veterinary help.

“If people know there is vermin around, they need to be very careful because cats and dogs will eat rat and mouse bait.

Vet Dr Molyneux
Candy the Cat Credit: VetPartners Ltd