1. ITV Report

Teenager fighting for life after County Durham house fire

A teenager who suffered 90 per cent burns in a house fire in Shildon, County Durham is fighting for his life.

Shildon, County Durham Credit: Google maps.

Doctors told Troy Mackinlay's family to prepare for the worst after the 18-year-old's house was engulfed in flames on Saturday 15th.

Troy, who has been put into an induced coma and given just a five per cent chance of survival, was dragged from the blaze by a courageous neighbour and had to be hosed down by fire fighters.

Troy's sister, Abra Wood, says she is praying her younger brother pulls through.

We went straight to the hospital and they took us into a room and told us to prepare for the worst.

Troy was in surgery for 12 hours and they didn’t know if he would make it through.

I was the first one to see him. He is wrapped completely in bandages and is in an induced coma.

He has third degree burns on 90 per cent of his body. If he survives he will be in hospital for at least a year.

– Abra Wood, Troy's sister

Emergency services were called to Albert Street, Shildon, County Durham, just after 7am last Saturday.

They arrived to find Troy and his cousin, Tommie Vayro, making their way out of the house moments before the upstairs windows shattered.

The pair had been rescued by a brave neighbour who was alerted to the fire by the ringing smoke alarm on his way out with his dog.

Troy and Tommie, 20, were upstairs when the fire broke out in the back bedroom of the mid-terraced property.

The pair were staying at their grandmother’s house after helping her move in a few days earlier.

Their grandmother, Barbara Robinson, had been asleep downstairs when the fire started and escaped with smoke inhalation.

Tommie was taken to Darlington Memorial Hospital where he was treated for minor burns and Troy was taken by ambulance to the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.

Troy's sister, Mrs Wood, added:

My nana’s neighbour, Philip Wales, heard the alarm and saw the smoke pouring out of the house.

He ran straight in through the back door to get my nana out and then went back in and upstairs and got the boys out.

He found Troy in bed under two duvets and helped him down the stairs but then he walked out on his own.

Everyone thought that because he walked out he would be okay, but he is actually fighting for his life.

The reason he was at my nana’s house was because he and Tommie had been helping her move.

She had only been there two days and now they have lost everything.

– Troy's sister, Abra Wood

The family are appealing for donations of household items to help Troy and his grandmother rebuild their home.

So far local businesses have donated vouchers to be raffled and more than £250 has been raised in support of the family.

A storage unit in Ferryhill has also been offered up free of charge for the family to store furniture and larger items.

A joint police and fire investigation is now underway to determine the cause of the fire.