North East pet owners are being warned to be extra vigilant after a suspected deliberate attempt to poison animals.
Millie, a nine-year-old cat, carried a cooked chicken breast through the cat flap of her home in Chester-le-Street and owners Sarah and Stuart Douglas were horrified to discover it was laced with rat poison.
Not knowing if her pet had eaten any of the chicken, Sarah called a vet and was advised to take her into their hospital.
Although Millie was not showing any signs of having been poisoned, the vet gave her blood tests and induced vomiting as a precaution.
The Douglas family have reported the case to the police, and Westway Vets in Newcastle is now appealing to cat and dog owners to keep a close watch over their pets following the scare.
Anyone who thinks their pet may have eaten rat poison should contact their vet immediately.
Symptoms your pet has eaten rat poison can include vomiting, diarrhoea, coughing or respiratory difficulties, seizures or muscle tremors, lethargy and blood in urine or faeces.
Vet Abbey Taylor said: