A man from Whitley Bay who rescued a pensioner from his burning home last month is honoured for his bravery.
Paul Jarvis, 63, visited Fire Service HQ on Monday July 17 to receive the thanks of Tyne & Wear Fire Authority for his actions on June 16.
Mr Jarvis, a retired builder was driving along Hillheads Road in Whitley Bay on his way home after work, when he noticed a fire visible inside the property, with dense fire gases coming from a first floor window.
He parked his car and ran into the house where he discovered a fire in the hallway.
As he went through to the kitchen Paul found the 84-year-old man who lives in the house, in a confused and disorientated state from the effects of smoke inhalation.
Paul led the pensioner out of the property to safety.
Fire crews arrived and the victim received medical treatment for smoke inhalation and burns to his left leg.
Paul Jarvis also looked after the pensioner’s pet dog for a time until it was safe for the resident to return to his home.
Chair of Tyne and Wear Fire Authority, Councillor Tom Wright said;
Mr Jarvis fully deserves this award. He acted promptly and courageously in entering the property at significant risk to himself and his personal safety. This allowed an elderly man to escape from a fire inside his home."
The blaze had started accidentally in the hallway, fire crews were at the scene within seven minutes of Mr Jarvis raising the alarm and they extinguished the flames.
Paul is pictured with Chief Fire Officer, Chris Lowther and Watch Manager for the area, Matt Currie.