Nightclub fined after woman's hair caught fire

Credit: Google Maps

A nightclub has been ordered to pay more than £21,000 after a woman's hair caught fire leading to burns.

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service were made aware of an incident at Moko Lounge in Harrogate on February 24, 2018

The victim's hair had been ignited by a lit candle placed on a table in the nightclub.

She was on fire for 12 seconds and suffered burns to her face, neck and hair.

Investigations found that the use of candles had not been risk assessed and that no defined control measures to protect persons from a naked flame were in place.

The Magistrate said that he was surprised that the company had not removed the candles from the nightclub and that further regulatory restrictions were required by North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service to remove them from use.

The Magistrate also commented that the company had not followed its own policy and reviewed the fire safety risk assessment every 12 months.

Fines totalling £21,962 inclusive of costs were awarded for the fire safety breach on the night.

The company being Moko Lounge released a statement following the case expressing its regret about the incident.