Cuts that could see dozens of firefighter jobs lost in Tyne and Wear will remain on hold until next year.
Fire service bosses say that continuing uncertainty over government funding and Brexit means that they still cannot take a decision on whether to push ahead with budget cuts proposed earlier this year.
In February, Labour councillors sitting on the region's fire authority voted to delay a large section of a £3.3m budget reduction proposal that would have slashed 82 jobs over three years - hoping that funding from the government would arrive in time to make the cutbacks unnecessary.
A fire authority meeting heard on Monday that Chancellor Sajid Javid's pledge to fund at minimum an inflationary increase to departments' existing funding was "positive news", but that the lack of a detailed spending review and Brexit uncertainty means the fire service cannot predict its financial position beyond the next year.
Newcastle City Council leader Nick Forbes, vice chair of the fire authority, said that claims that austerity is over are "far fetched" and that the government is simply on a "a pre-election spending spree".
By 2022, the Tyne and Wear Fire and Rescue Service will have lost an estimated £11.3m since 2010.
Coun Forbes said that it would be sensible to look at possible cuts in the new year when the funding position is "a bit clearer", adding:
In February, the authority approved £682,000 of cuts this year - which included the loss of 16 jobs and fire engines being relocated.
But further cuts to be made in 2020 and 2021 were put on hold, amid warnings from the Fire Brigades Union (FBU) that they were "unnecessary and dangerous".
Bruce Pickard, deputy mayor of North Tyneside, said:
Sunderland's Conservative leader Robert Oliver asked service chiefs on Monday how long a decision could be delayed before cuts had to be made.
Assistant Chief Fire Officer Alan Robson replied that he expects there to be greater clarity next spring or summer.
Mr Robson also said that changes to controversial ' Day Crewing (Close Call)' 24-hour shifts at Birtley and Rainton Bridge fire stations, labelled "unlawful" by the FBU, are likely to be made "regardless" of the funding situation.
Russ King, Tyne and Wear FBU secretary said: