There was a joyful welcome from pupils when we arrived at Kilimanjaro Primary School in the town of Moshi. The children greeted us with a song, in English, before their lesson began.
Although there were English sentences on the blackboard, today's studies were not about reading or writing. Instead the focus was on skills that could save a life.
Sadly, burns are an all-too-common feature of life in Tanzania and often involve children. Accidents can happen as a result of open fires for cooking and the use of kerosene for heating.
That's why burns prevention and first aid has become an important element of a partnership between the North East health trust, Northumbria Healthcare, and a hospital in Moshi. ITV Tyne Tees joined the team in Tanzania to report on the work to mark the link's twentieth anniversary.
It was striking to hear almost all the pupils confirm they knew someone who had been burned. All sat transfixed as Newcastle nurses Emma Forster and Sophie Robson led a series of role play exercises.
As well as helping the children to avoid burns, the team gave one key message: burns that do happen should be treated immediately with water, and lots of it.
While the team was aiming its message at children, the hope is that they will pass it on to friends and family.
Serious burns can have a major impact in many ways; for example, if a breadwinner is prevented from working, or families have to find money for costly treatment and medicines.
The team's community work extends beyond schools. Later, we watched nurse Peter Smith provide first responder training to a group of motor bikers; giving them the knowledge they need should they come across an accident.
Later, the team discovered that two bikers who were trained last year had since put their skills to the test in real life situations.
The message may be relatively simple. The hope is that the impact will be huge.