A van driver who was not wearing a seatbelt and was on his phone behind the wheel stuck two fingers up to passing motorists when he realised he was being filmed - without knowing they were undercover police.
The footage was captured on the A1(M) near Wetherby by North Yorkshire Police, who had stationed undercover police officers in a National Highways 'supercab'.
The driver of the van can be seen driving with no seatbelt while on his mobile phone. National Highways said the driver "took one hand off the wheel and both eyes off the road".
When the motorist realised he was being filmed by the passenger in the passing cab, he stuck two fingers up in the direction of the camera. But he was given a fright after realising he had actually been snared by undercover police.
The driver was handed a fixed penalty notice for not wearing a seatbelt and using a mobile phone. He was also handed six penalty points and a £200 fine.
National Highways' 'supercab' will now be used during a fortnight of action by multiple agencies on the A1 from North Yorkshire to Northumberland.
The programme, dubbed Operation Mainline, will run from Monday 21 March to Friday 1 April and aims to reduce dangerous driving on the route.
Superintendent Emma Aldred, Head of Specialist Operations at North Yorkshire Police, said: "As police officers, we see too many people taking serious risks on our roads – and those risks can, and often do, cost lives.
"We are pleased to join Northumbria Police and Durham Constabulary in working with National Highways to create a really robust team, in order to target those who break the law on our road network.
"This operation has shown remarkable results previously and we know this time will be no different.
"Officers will be covering the stretch of the A1 24/7 and will not let up in their efforts to target those who have no regard for others on our roads."
National Highways' regional director, Simon Boyle, said: "Safety is our highest priority at National Highways.
"The cabs are an important part of our commitment to tackling dangerous driving and those who take unnecessary risks with their own safety and that of others on the road.
"The number of people found not wearing their seatbelt or using their mobile phone while driving is quite alarming.
"Through this fortnight of action on the A1 we want to make all of our roads safer by raising awareness and encouraging motorists to consider their driving behaviour.
"It’s great to be collaborating with our partners in the police on this important campaign."
National Highways said it dealt with 9,675 incidents on the A1 last year, including 614 crashes.
Watch our full report on Operation Mainline