Man on trial for pensioner murder

A man charged with the murder of a pensioner in Northumberland is on trial at Newcastle Crown Court. Graeme Jarman, from County Durham, is accused of murdering Judith Richardson at her home in Hexham, in August last year.

Live updates


The latest on the Graeme Jarman trial

A pensioner who was bludgeoned to death in her home had suffered more than 50 separate injuries in the attack, a court has been hearing today. 77 year old Judith Richardson died from serious head injuries in Hexham last summer.

Graeme Jarman from Consett denies murdering her with a hammer because he wanted to steal her jewellery.

Our correspondent Ben Chapman has been at Newcastle Crown Court.

Hammer murder pensioner suffered '50+ injuries'

A pensioner who was bludgeoned to death in her own home suffered morethan 50 injuries to her head and arms, a court has heard.Judith Richardson, 77, was attacked during an alleged robbery at herterraced house in Hexham last August. Graeme Jarman, 48, from Consett, denies her murder.

Giving evidence at Newcastle Crown Court, pathologist Dr Jennifer Bolton said Miss Richardson had died from "at least 30" blows to thehead from a blunt object. She suffered 34 separate bruises and cuts to her head, and a fractured skull.

The court was told she'd tried to defend herself using both her arms, which were also badly bruised.

The jury was shown a computerised model of her injuries, which Dr Boulton said were consistent with blows from a hammer found close to the murder scene. The trial continues.

Witness tells court he saw Jarman outside victim's home

A man on trial for the murder of a pensioner in Northumberland was seen loitering outside her home the day she died, a court has heard.

A witness told Newcastle Crown Court that he saw Graeme Jarman "staring" at Judith Richardson's flat in Hexham on the day of the attack, last year.

Francis Brewis was visiting his brother, who lived next door to the 77-year-old, when he saw Jarman outside on August 19. After going inside, Mr Brewis looked out of the window several minutes later to see the 48-year-old still there.

He said he saw Jarman's picture in a newspaper a week later.

Miss Richardson was struck at least 30 times with a hammer after opening her door to a caller. Her home was robbed as she lay dying in the hallway.

Jarman admitted to being near Miss Richardson's flat but denies her murder.


Back to top

Latest ITV News reports