Man jailed for raping teenager

A man has been jailed for twelve years after raping a 15 year old girl at knifepoint.

Live updates

Full report: Man jailed for raping 15-year-old girl

It has been described as one of the most horrifying attacks of its kind that Northumbria Police has dealt with.

A 15-year-old girl making her way home from a youth club was raped repeatedly for an hour and a half.

The man responsible, Abdul Miah from Newcastle, was jailed for 12 years today, May 10 and told he will spend the rest of his life on the sex offenders register.

Watch Kenny Toal's report here:

Northumbria Police urge victims of rape to come forward after 15-year-old attacked

"Rape is a hugely traumatic experience but we want people to know help is always available and we'd urge people to come forward and report it.

"As well as our dedicated Rape Investigation Teams, we work with partners and our two Sexual Assault Referral Centres in Sunderland and Newcastle to provide the utmost support to victims.

"We also have a number of Independent Sexual Violence Advisors available – who provide a link between the victim and the police – from the initial call to the end of a court case.

"They can also help the victim link in with other agencies and welfare support.

"Our aim continues to be to give more victims the confidence to come forward and report they have been raped in the knowledge that their case will be fully investigated by a dedicated team of detectives."

– Newcastle Area Commander Chief Superintendent Gary Calvert


Northumbria Police: Attack has "caused great concern in local community"

"This was an horrific attack on a young woman which caused great concern in the local community.

"Miah's actions had a profound effect on his victim and I wish to acknowledge the victim's bravery in coming forward in what must have been a very difficult set of circumstances.

"The community is very much better off with this criminal behind bars, he acted in a vile, cowardly manner, threatening a young woman and carrying out an prolonged assault on her."

– Newcastle Area Commander Chief Superintendent Gary Calvert

Teenager jailed for raping 15-year-old girl at knifepoint

A teenager has been jailed for 12 years after raping a 15-year-old girl at knifepoint in Newcastle.

Abdul Miah, aged 19, from Elswick, Newcastle, told his victim he would kill her if she fought back.

The attack took place in December last year, when the girl was raped on an area of waste ground between Park Close and Gloucester Terrace in Elswick.

The girl was making her way home from a youth club.


Back to top