Search for missing trawler men called off

Humber Coastguard has confirmed the search for two missing trawler men has been called off.

Live updates

Mother's tribute to Co Durham crash victim

Anthony Dunn

The mother of a young man who died in a crash in County Durham at the weekend has paid tribute to her son.

21-year-old Anthony Michael Dunn from Howden-le-Wear was a passenger in a black VW Polo which left the road and crashed in the early hours of Saturday morning in Witton Park, to the west of Bishop Auckland.

The Polo was travelling north on New Road towards High Grange when, having passed over the river Wear the driver attempted to negotiate a number of bends. At this point it left the road and collided with a wooden fence.

The other three men in the car – all from Crook and aged 21, 20 and 18 – have been arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving, interviewed and then released on police bail until separate dates next month.

The car involved in the crash

All Anthony’s family and friends have been devastated by the news. He will be missed terribly, but never forgotten.

– Anthony’s mother, Margaret Atkinson

Ocean Way skipper named

Tributes have been paid to the skipper of a Scottish fishing trawler which went missing in the North Sea.

James Noble and two others were rescued by an RAF helicopter after the Ocean Way began transmitting an emergency signal off the Northumberland coast on Sunday.

45-year-old Mr Noble later died in hospital. Two crewmen, aged 28 and 38, were taken to Wansbeck Hospital in Northumberland suffering from hypothermia and have now been released.

Two men aged 32 and 38 have not been found.

67-year-old Billy Edwards who worked with Mr Noble for 20 years, said the Fraserburgh-born fisherman had been “like a son” to him.

Humber Coastguard reported the Ocean Way was last heard from about 100 miles east of the Farne Islands. On Monday, the Maritime and Coastguard Agency said a further searches were “unlikely” unless it received further information.

Advertisement

North Shields reaction: Trawler tragedy

Three fishermen are now asssumed to be dead after the search for two still missing in the North Sea was called off this morning.

Five crew members were on board the Ocean Way, when it sank 100 miles off the Farne Islands.

The body of the captain of the vessel, a 45-year-old man, was recovered. Two other men aged 32 and 38, crew members, have not been found.

The two survivors, men aged 38 and 28, were taken to Wansbeck Hospital in Northumberland suffering from hypothermia and have been released following treatment.

The Marine Accident Investigation Branch is investigating.

This reaction from Alan Jenkins, a local skipper and Nik Hanlon, the quay manager at North Shields, where the trawler was based:

Reaction: Trawler tragedy

The Ocean Way, before the tragedy. Credit: Steve Ellwood

Tributes are coming in for the fisherman who died and the two that are missing following the sinking of the Ocean Way trawler, 100 miles off the Northumberland coast.

We are greatly saddened by this tragic news and our heartfelt thoughts and sympathies are with the family and friends of the crew at this very difficult time.

This terrible accident highlights the very real dangers our fishermen face on a constant basis and is a sober reminder of the important role fishing plays in putting food on our plates.

– Bertie Armstrong, chief executive of the Scottish Fishermen's Federation

This is a terrible tragedy and my thoughts are with the loved ones and friends of the crew.

This tragedy will be felt by all fishing communities and is a horrible reminder of the dangers our fishermen face day in, day out to bring fish to our tables with many paying the ultimate sacrifice.

– Scotland's Fisheries Minister Richard Lochhead

Advertisement

Search operation continues for missing crew members

A spokesperson for the Maritime and Coastguard Agency has said there are no "imminent plans" to call off a search and rescue operation for two crew members of a trawler missing in the North Sea.

A Norwegian helicopter is currently searching the area and is due to hand over to an RAF helicopter from RAF Boulmer in the next hour.

Three crew members who were recovered from the water have been taken to hospital, the spokesperson said.

Missing trawler: one confirmed dead, two still missing

Humber Coastguard has confirmed one person has died after a trawler got into difficulty in the middle of the North Sea.

He was one of three people winched from the water and airlifted to hospital in Northumberland by RAF helicopters. Two more crew members are still missing and the search for them continues.

Their vessel, called Ocean Way, operates out of North Tyneside. It set out on the evening of 1st November and began transmitting emergency signals the next morning.

Missing trawler: two still missing in North Sea

The search continues for two crew members of a fishing boat missing in the North Sea. Humber Coastguard is co-ordinating the rescue with RAF helicopters and a team from Norway.

Three people have now been rescued from the water and airlifted to hospital in Northumberland.

An RAF helicopter arrives at hospital in Northumberland with crew members of the missing trawler Ocean Way Credit: John Tuttiet

RAF helicopters have been trying to find the missing crew of the trawler, called 'Ocean Way', since it began transmitting emergency signals.

Search for crew of trawler missing in North Sea

Two people have been winched to safety but a further three are still missing after a trawler began transmitting emergency signals in the North Sea, about 100 miles east of the Farne Islands.

The vessel, called Ocean Way, began using its emergency beacon earlier today (2nd November). Since then, Humber Coastguard has been trying to contact the skipper. It has also been broadcasting mayday relay messages, asking other ships to look out for the missing crew.

An RAF rescue helicopter has found two people alive in the water. They have been airlifted to hospital in Northumberland. The Norwegian helicopter Rescue 1 will arrive on scene shortly to relieve the RAF rescue helicopter.

We will continue searching as long as necessary. We still have the benefit of daylight and fairly favourable weather conditions for searching.

– Mike Puplett, Humber Coastguard Watch Manager
Back to top