- Tyne Tees
- 18 updates
The inquest into the death of a 2 year old who died after choking on a grape has recorded a verdict of accidental death. Jacob Jenkins died after the incident at a Pizza Hut restaurant in Hartlepool in October.
At the time of his death, members of the public gathered to release balloons at Seaton Carew to honour his life. His funeral saw hundreds line Hartlepool's streets.
A fundraising page to help pay for his funeral and support the family has raised over £20,000.
His mother Abigail Wilson urged parents at the time to make sure they cut up their children's food.
Read how to treat a child or adult that is choking.
The parents of a toddler who died after choking on a grape have issued a warning to other families in the hope it will help save lives.
Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins had been in the local Pizza Hut with his mother Abigail Wilson and father David Jenkins when the piece of fruit became lodged in Jacob's throat.
Despite them both being first aid-trained, the couple were unable to clear the obstruction and Jacob died later in hospital.
The tragic news prompted a huge reaction in the town, with a seafront vigil taking place and more than £20,000 being raised online.
Hundreds of mourners also lined the streets for the toddler's funeral.
Abigail Wilson has now spoken out about what happened and has urged parents to make sure they cut up their children's food.
Abigail Wilson said it was really important that parents give their children their full attention as they eat to avoid another tragedy.
She also thanked the people of Hartlepool for their "incredible" support.
Hartlepool United players have worn yellow armbands in memory of Jacob Jenkins, the two-year-old who died after choking on a grape at a Pizza Hut in the Marina.
The club was given special permission by the Football League to wear the bands, specially chosen to be Jacob's favourite colour.
A fundraising page set up in Jacob's memory to support his family and pay for his funeral has now raised more than £18,000.
Hartlepool United have announced its players will wear yellow armbands during their match against Barnet at Victoria Park.
Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins died days after choking on a grape at Pizza Hut in Hartlepool during a meal with his parents.
He passed away after five days in a coma at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle.
All proceeds from sales of the matchday magazine will be donated directly to a fund set up to help the family, which has now raised more than £18,000.
A fundraising page to help pay for the funeral of Jacob Jenkins and to support his family has raised more than £18,000.
The page was set up by a family friend to help his parents "take time off work and come to terms with their loss".
Two-year-old Jacob stopped breathing after choking on a grape at Pizza Hut in Hartlepool on October 9. He died in hospital five days later.
Latest ITV News reports
Thousands of people have voted for a plane to be named after two-year-old Jacob Jenkins, who died after choking on a grape.
After the tragic death of toddler Jacob Jenkins, take a look at NHS guidance on what to do if a child is choking.