- Tyne Tees
- 4 updates
A restaurant owner has been jailed for 6 years for the manslaughter of a customer who died from a peanut allergy after eating a curry from his restaurant.
Indian restaurant owner Mohammed Zaman failed to inform customer Paul Wilson that the curry used mixed nut powder.
The parents of a man who died of an allergic reaction after a restaurant owner failed to inform him a curry contained nuts have said it should never have happened.
Paul Wilson, 38, suffered from a severe peanut allergy and died after eating a takeaway from Zaman's restaurant.
Mohammed Zaman, 52, used cheaper groundnut mix - which contained peanuts - rather than almond powder as a way of cutting costs.
Zaman was convicted of Wilson's manslaughter by gross negligence and six food safety offences at Teesside Crown Court.
Margaret and Keith Wilson say they feel bitter and angry about Zaman's actions.
Pub manager Paul Wilson insisted his chicken tikka masala must be nut-free when he placed his order at The Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, North Yorkshire on January 30th 2014.
His parents say his last words to them were "I love you both, talk tomorrow."
Latest ITV News reports
The restaurant behind the death of a customer from a nut allergy has sent an apology email to customers that promotes a new dessert range.