Live updates

Advertisement

North Yorkshire Fire & Rescue Service statement:

North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service attended a domestic property fire in York yesterday involving a female occupier who was in her kitchen and whilst de-canting petrol from one container to another the petrol ignited and set fire to her clothing.

The casualty was treated by ambulance personnel and was taken to Pinderfields Hospital with 40% burns to her whole body.

2 firefighters wearing breathing apparatus used a hose reel jet to extinguish a small fire in the kitchen and removed the remaining petrol.

Advertisement

Fire warning on the dangers of storing petrol

A fire service spokesman today warned people about storing petrol in their homes.

Members of the public should take extreme care when handling and storing petrol and be aware of the risks associated with incorrect use and storage of fuel.

In domestic situations fuel containers must not be stored in living accommodation such as kitchens, living rooms and bedrooms or under staircases.

Never bring petrol inside your home. If you do smell petrol fumes in a garage or outbuilding ventilate the area and make sure nobody smokes or turns electrical switches on or off. The slightest spark could cause an explosion."

– Peter Hudson, North Yorkshire Fire and Rescue Service