Live updates

Paul Gascoigne alleged race abuse court case adjourned

Court case involving Paul Gascoigne has been adjourned Credit: PA

A criminal prosecution brought against football veteran Paul Gascoigne has been adjourned until next week.

Ex Newcastle United star Gascoigne, who was charged earlier this month with racially abusing a security guard, did not attend a brief hearing at Dudley Magistrates' Court in the West Midlands.

The 49-year-old former Tottenham and Rangers star is alleged to have used abusive or insulting words, causing racially aggravated harassment and alarm, during An Evening With Gazza show in Wolverhampton in November last year.

Gascoigne, whose contact address was listed on official court documents as a law firm in Bedfordshire, was not represented at Wednesday's hearing.

A court clerk dealing with the proceedings told reporters the case had been "administratively adjourned" with the consent of a district judge until Wednesday next week.


Man charged after Darlington pedestrian left seriously injured

Scene of incident on Easson Road Credit: Durham Constabulary

A man has appeared in court charged with a number of driving offences after a pedestrian was seriously injured in Darlington.

Lewis Heslop, 25, of Hilda Street, Darlington, appeared before Newton Aycliffe Magistrates' Court charged with aggravated taking a vehicle without consent, causing serious injury by dangerous driving, driving while disqualified, driving while under the influence and having no insurance. He will appear before Teesside Crown Court on July 13.

The female victim was still in a critical condition. Police have now established her identity.

Man jailed for filming in court

Credit: ITV News Tyne Tees

A man who photographed and filmed court proceedings on his mobile phone has been jailed.

Jack Towes from Middlesbrough was sent to prison for three months after pleading guilty at Minshull Street Crown Court in Manchester.

Towes was watching a family member’s court appearance and was seen by a court usher to use his mobile phone to take still images and video footage of the courtroom and trial from the public gallery.

He was arrested at the scene and initially attempted to deny the phone was his, before eventually accepting guilt.

Unfortunately cases such as this are becoming more and more commonplace.

Towes cannot even plead ignorance in this case, as part of the video footage taken on his phone involves him pointing the camera at the sign which explicitly forbids cameras and recording equipment in the court building.

He showed complete disregard for these laws, flouting them openly and flagrantly in front of staff members.

I hope that this sentence sets an example for others, and that in future people will think twice about using their mobile phones to record or photograph court proceedings.

– Constable John Ennis, Court Officer


Nile Range pleads not guilty to criminal damage

Former Newcastle United Nile Ranger has pleaded not guilty to a charge of criminal damage today (April 29).

The Swindon Town FC striker entered the plea at Swindon Magistrates' Court in Wiltshire.

Nile Ranger. Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

The alleged offence relates to damage at a block of flats in the town earlier this month.

Ranger, 23, of Gordon Gardens, Swindon, will go on trial at the court on July 17.

The former Premiership player was released on bail.

Man jailed for manslaughter of Darlington gran

Lee Grainger has been jailed for life after admitting the manslaughter of Darlington grandmother Sybil Sibthorpe.

Grainger previously admitted the offence on the grounds of diminished responsibility after psychiatric experts found that he lost his self-control due to a head injury.

Lee Edward Grainger had previously admitted the manslaughter of Sybil Sibthorpe on the grounds of diminished responsibility after psychiatric experts found that he lost his self-control due to a head injury he suffered in a motorbike crash.

Mrs Sibthorpe, from Darlington, was found dead in the garden of her flat in Haughton Road, Darlington, on May 8 this year.

He was sentenced to serve at least 12 and a half years at Teesside Crown Court.

Ranger denies rape

Former Newcastle United striker Nile Ranger has denied a charge of rape.

The attack is said to have happened at a hotel in Jesmond, Newcastle, in January.

Ranger, 22, of Gordon Gardens, Swindon, left Newcastle United in March.

The striker will be tried by a jury at a trial currently listed in January of next year.

He was granted bail.

The former England under 19 international made more than 50 appearances for Newcastle United following his debut in August 2009.

Council tech boss defrauded Vodafone

A Redcar and Cleveland Council IT boss who defrauded Vodafone out of £724,000 and used the money to buy a hot tub and a caravan has been jailed for three years.

Steven Topham, 36, manipulated the company's credit system to order 1,700 handsets - most of which were then sold on.

Topham, from Coronation Green, Park End, Middlesbrough, could not tell police how many phones he had sold or how much he had made.

He told police he had bought a hot tub, sauna, holiday caravan, electrical goods and paid off his substantial debts.

Judge Howard Crowson said Topham, who pleaded guilty to fraud by abuse of position and converting criminal property at an earlier hearing, was guilty of a breach of trust.

"You set out on what was clearly a professional fraud," he said.

A proceeds of crime hearing will take place next year.

Load more updates