Live updates

Police car chase in Ashington

A police car was following a Ford Mondeo car on Woodhorn Road when the it pulled out of sight at speed. Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Police are appealing for witnesses after a two vehicle crash in Ashington.

A police car was following a Ford Mondeo car on Woodhorn Road when the it pulled out of sight at speed.

It happened around 5pm on Monday, January 30, on Milburn Road.

Shortly after, the Ford hit a Nissan Quashqai before slamming into a wall on Milburn Road. It eventually came to a standstill after crashing into a tree. The two people inside of the Mondeo then ran off.

Officers have arrested a 31-year-old man on suspicion of failing to stop after an accident, he has been bailed pending further enquiries.


Cyclist suffers spinal fracture after crashing with a car on roundabout in Stockton

Police are appealing for witnesses after a car and cyclist crashed on a roundabout in Stockton.

It happened on Friday (September 16) at 07:30am. The 44-year-old male cyclist was taken to the University Hospital of North Tees, where he was treated for spinal fracture.

Police are now encouraging the public to come forward with any information they may have. The collision happened on the roundabout junction of Concorde Way and the A135 Yarm Road in Stockton.

Super Puma helicopter crash survivors win millions in compensation

The wreckage (right) of the Super Puma L2 helicopter which went down in the North Sea with the loss of four lives Credit: Library Image (PA)

Survivors of a North Sea helicopter crash which killed four people including men from County Durham and South Shields have won millions in compensation.

The Super Puma helicopter plunged into the sea off Shetland in August 2013.

Oil workers Duncan Munro, 46, from Bishop Auckland in County Durham, George Allison, 57, from Winchester, Hampshire who grew up in South Shields, Sarah Darnley, 45, from Elgin, Moray, and Gary McCrossan, 59, from Inverness, died.

Duncan Munro, 46, from County Durham, died in the crash

Both pilots and 12 remaining passengers escaped and now nine of the survivors have won compensation understood to be between £2.5 million and £3 million.

Lisa Gregory, head solicitor at the Aberdeen office of law firm Digby Brown, which represented the claimants, said:

Our clients were a group of people who were just going to work when their lives were changed in some of the worst ways imaginable.

The cases were about providing them with access to legal recourse and fair compensation. All of those involved in the incident will have to live with its effects and repercussions for the rest of their lives. The most important outcome is that the settlements will hopefully allow those affected by the events of that night and their families to move on with dignity."

– Lisa Gregory, Solictor, Digby Brown

Investigators found pilots failed to properly monitor the flight instruments onapproaching Sumburgh Airport on Shetland.

A final report by the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) issued in March found no mechanical fault with the helicopter, which was returning from the Borgsten Dolphin support vessel to Sumburgh.

Stanley bus driver: "child thought I might be dead"

One of the drivers involved in the Stanley bus crash on Tuesday (June 3) has spoken about how one of the children on board thought he might be dead.

54-year-old Paul Stephenson of Annfield Plain was driving the Go North double decker. He was trapped for more than two hours.

Mr Stephenson has been discharged from hospital today (June 6). He sustained injures to his head and knee.


Police name victim of A68 fatal crash

Fatal road crash victim Peter Hammond Credit: Durham Police

POLICE have formally identified a man who died in a crash on the A68.

It happened last Friday when a van and a lorry collided on the outskirts of Darlington.

49-year-old Peter Hammond, from nearby Bolam village, was a front-seat passenger in the van. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

A 46-year-old man, who was a rear passenger in the van, suffered multiple injuries.

He was taken by air ambulance to the James Cook University Hospital in Middlesbrough where his condition is 'critical but stable'.

The van driver was arrested on suspicion of causing death by dangerous driving and the lorry driver for death by careless driving.

Both have been released on police bail.

Durham Police describe crash 'tragedy' which kills 5

The scene of the crash on the A18 near Lincolnshire Credit: Kate Hemingway

A senior Durham police officer has used twitter to express his sympathy after a party of five from the county, including a baby, were killed in a head-on car crash earlier today. The smash happened on the A18 near Grimsby at half past twelve this lunchtime.

Dave Orford who's the temporary Assistant Chief Constable of Durham Police tweeted tonight "Absolute tragedy. We are providing all support here, and to colleagues in Humberside". The victims' car collided with a lorry. The driver of the lorry suffered minor injuries.

The road remains closed as officers investigate how the crash happened. The identities of the five victims has not yet been released however police say they were known to each other.

A local man said the road is bendy with some motorists travelling at high speeds along it. Police and fire engines remain at the scene.

Woman critical after South Tyneside crash

A woman remains critically ill in hospital after being stuck by a car on South Tyneside.

The 79-year-old was hit by a Vauxhall Corsa on the A194 Western Approach at South Shields, close to the junction with Dean Road on Friday at around 4:25pm. She was taken to Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary for treatment.

Any witnesses are being asked to contact Northumbria Police on 101.

Load more updates