Live updates

Dangerous driver receives 3 month suspended sentence

Michael Strong admitted dangerous driving after being caught doing stunts by police

A man who was caught doing laps and stunts in a BMW in a residential area of Sunderland has received a three month suspended jail sentence.

Michael Strong, 29, was spotted driving dangerously in his BMW X5 by local neighbourhood officers on a grassed area formerly known as Suffolk Street and Amberley Street. The officers reported him to the Op Dragoon team.

The team was founded in Spring 2014 and has been successful in securing hundreds of prosecutions against dangerous drivers.

He was charged with one count of dangerous driving following the incident last October.

Strong, of High Elms, Sunderland, admitted the offence and was handed a three month prison sentence suspended for two years.

He was also handed a 12 month driving ban and ordered to pay £100 in court costs at the hearing at Sunderland Magistrates Court last Friday.

Strong's BMW X5

Motor Patrols Chief Inspector John Heckels said: "This was an example of dangerous driving in the middle of a residential community and it could have easily led to somebody being injured.

"I am glad Strong has been taken off our roads and I hope he understands that we will be ready to take action if he gets back behind the wheel before the end of his ban."


Wheelchair driving prank a 'piece of stupidity'

A woman, who repeatedly drove up and down a Tesco car park while towing a friend sitting on a borrowed wheelchair holding towel hanging out of the boot of her car, has been handed a two-year driving ban.

Maria Adams’ prank, which lasted several minutes, has ended up costing her more than £1,400, as well as her licence, after the incident was caught on the supermarket's security cameras in Roker, Sunderland:

The 20-year-old call centre worker from Whitburn in South Tyneside, appeared at Newcastle Crown Court and admitted to dangerous driving.

The court heard her friend did not need a wheelchair and had jumped in one owned by the store for customer use.

Judge Penny Moreland described the driving as "a piece of stupidity".

In addition to prosecution costs and a victim surcharge, Adams has also been given a four-month curfew and a 12-month community order.

Hands-behind-head driver is banned

A driver has been banned from the roads for 12 months after he was filmed doing 60 miles an hour - with both hands behind his head.

Mechanic, Richard Newton, was found guilty of dangerous driving by Magistrates.

The video was taken by North Yorkshire Police as Newton drove along the A171 near Whitby.

The road has seen 30 serious accidents in the last six years - five of which were fatal as Chris Kiddey reports.

Road ban welcomed for hands-free driver

“North Yorkshire has some of the most perilous roads in the country and so it is right that our police take action against reckless driving that puts road users in unnecessary danger.

“I welcome the 12-month driving ban and hope it acts as a reminder to all motorists of their responsibilities when they get behind the wheel.

“I would also like to thank the road safety team for making this prosecution possible.”



– Julia Mulligan, Police and Crime Commissioner for North Yorkshire

Look - car - no hands!

Watch amazing footage of Richard Newton driving at 60mph with his hands behind his head.

The 36 year old, from Whitby, was filmed by North Yorkshire police officers on the A171 near the Scaling Dam Reservoir, last August.

Today he was banned from driving for 12 months and fined £625 by Scarborough magistrates, after they found him guilty of dangerous driving.

He was also ordered to carry out 100 hours of unpaid work in the community.


Ban and fine for driving with no hands

Richard Newton found guilty of dangerous driving

A Whitby man has been banned from driving for 12 months for driving with no hands.

Richard Newton, 36, of Abbots Road, was found guilty at Scarborough Magistrates’ Court of dangerous driving.

Mr Newton was filmed as he drove past a police mobile safety camera on the A171 near Scaling Dam reservoir, at around 6.20pm on Friday 9 August 2013.

He had both hands behind his head as he continued along the road for around 25 seconds driving at between 60 to 63mph.

Load more updates