Live updates

Medals for military medics who treated Ebola victims

Credit: ITV Tyne Tees
Credit: ITV Tyne Tees
Credit: ITV Tyne Tees

Military medics from 34 Field Hospital based in York have received their operational service medals for running the Ebola treatment centre in Kerrytown, Sierra Leone,at a special ceremony today (December 3).

Fifty soldiers from 34 Field Hospital marched on parade at Queen Elizabeth Barracks, to receive the cross-Government Ebola Medal for Service in West Africa following a three month operational tour in Sierra Leone.

They were part of a team of 100 Regulars and Reserves from all three services including 18 members of the Canadian Armed Forces which treated those who cared for Ebola patients and later contracted the disease themselves.

The Kerrytown Centre was opened in November last year, providing 80 beds in the centre run by Save the Children fund and 12 beds in the unit staffed by British Army medics specifically for health care workers and international staff responding to the Ebola crisis.

RVI on standby to receive possible Ebola patients

The RVI in Newcastle is one of only three centres outside London equipped to handle ebola cases

The RVI in Newcastle is on standby to receive two military workers being screened for Ebola in Sierra Leone should they test positive.

One British military worker has already been confirmed to have Ebola and is being flown back to the UK along with two of her colleagues who are due to undergo tests at the Royal Free Hospital in London.

A spokesman for Public Health England said: "The Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle is standing by, ready to receive the patients if necessary.

"If a decision is made to transport them to the UK for further assessment, they will be taken to Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle, in line with Ebola response plans."

If the patients are transferred to the North East hospital, they will be the first confirmed Ebola cases to do so.

Two young children were tested for the disease in Newcastle in November last year.

There have been more than 24,000 cases of Ebola world wide since the outbreak started more than a year ago and nearly 10,000 people have died.

Advertisement

Ebola soldiers return to North Yorkshire base

North Yorkshire soldiers head to Sierra Leone Credit: ITV News

100 soldiers from 35 Squadron, 5 Medical Regiment, based at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire have returned from a seven-week tour in Sierra Leone as part of the British Army's support of the response to the Ebola outbreak in West Africa.

The unit was deployed to Sierra Leone to man the Ebola Training Academy. The Academy's role is to train the Sierra Leone health care workers who are working in the five Ebola Treatment Units the UK is currently building.

During the course of our seven week deployment we trained more than 4,000 personnel which can only have a major impact on tackling the outbreak. Thanks to the commitment of my soldiers, many of whom were young and deploying for the first time, we achieved a high quality training course."

– Lieutenant Colonel Phil Carter, the Commanding Officer of 5 Med Regt

North Yorkshire soldiers head to Sierra Leone

Army medics trained at Catterick Garrison in North Yorkshire have left the country to join British efforts in fighting the Ebola outbreak.

They will man the Ebola Training Academy in Sierra Leone, which will supply five treatment centres currently being built by the UK.

North Yorkshire soldiers head to Sierra Leone

Advertisement

Newcastle 'concerned' over Ebola threat to African duo

Newcastle United say plans are in place to help protect the club's players from the threat of Ebola during next year's Africa Cup of Nations.

Both Cheick Tiote and Papiss Cisse could take part in the tournament with Ivory Coast and Senegal respectively. But Magpies boss Alan Pardew said the club is 'concerned' for the safety of the pair and is doing it everything it can to help them ahead of the event, which is due to take place in January and February 2015.

There have been calls for the competition to be cancelled or postponed after the recent Ebola outbreak on the continent. Morocco has even withdrawn from hosting the tournament over safety fears regarding the virus.

'Ebola outbreak drills' to take place

As Britain steps up efforts to protect the public from the Ebola virus, the Department of Health has confirmed a series of "Ebola outbreak drills" will take place at hospitals this weekend to prepare staff in treating anyone suspected to have been infected.

Recently, it was confirmed that Newcastle's Royal Victoria Infirmary is one of four specialist infectious disease centres chosen to treat possible patients, and second in line if there is an overspill from London.

Because of this, it's thought likely it could be the venue for one of the emergency rehearsals taking place this weekend.

Read More: Port of Tyne monitoring for risk of Ebola

Newcastle health boss discusses RVI's Ebola unit

Experts say it the new centre at Newcastle's RVI will be 'Category 4', making it one of the most secure in the world. It follows yesterday's announcement that the RVI is one of four UK hospitals on stand-by for any outbreak of ebola. Leonard Fenwick, the Chief Executive of Newcastle Hospitals NHS Trust spoke to ITV Tyne Tees about the plans.

Load more updates