Live updates

Parents of peanut allergy sufferer killed by restaurant owner say it should never have happened

The parents of a man who died of an allergic reaction after a restaurant owner failed to inform him a curry contained nuts have said it should never have happened.

Paul Wilson, 38, suffered from a severe peanut allergy and died after eating a takeaway from Zaman's restaurant.

Mohammed Zaman, 52, used cheaper groundnut mix - which contained peanuts - rather than almond powder as a way of cutting costs.

Zaman was convicted of Wilson's manslaughter by gross negligence and six food safety offences at Teesside Crown Court.

Margaret and Keith Wilson say they feel bitter and angry about Zaman's actions.

Pub manager Paul Wilson insisted his chicken tikka masala must be nut-free when he placed his order at The Indian Garden restaurant in Easingwold, North Yorkshire on January 30th 2014.

His parents say his last words to them were "I love you both, talk tomorrow."

Advertisement