Zayn Malik is 21 years old and from Bradford. The One Direction singer became famous when he auditioned for The X Factor in 2010 as a solo artist. He was placed in the boy band my Nicole Scherzinger.
Zayn has three sisters and is engaged to South Shields born Little Mix star Perrie Edwards. He has previously been linked to X Factor contestants Geneva Lane and Rebecca Ferguson.
They are the biggest boy band in the world, they have a fan base spanning the globe.
Here is a list of their story so far:
- 61 album and single no.1’s worldwide
- ‘Take Me Home’, was no.1 in 37 counties
- ‘Up All Night’ became no.1 in 17 countries
- The only UK band to have their first 2 albums debut at 1 in US
- The first British band since The Beatles to have 2 no.1 albums in the same year in the US
- Winners of 2 Brit Awards in 2012 for ‘Best British Single’ and 2013 for ‘Global Success Award’
- Awarded 3 MTV VMA’s and 3 MTV EMA’s
- Received NRJ award for ‘Best International Group’
- Won 3 Billboard Music Awards for ‘Top Duo/Group’, ‘Top New Artist’, ‘Top Pop Artist’
- Two Sunday Times bestselling books
- A sold out 2013 UK Arena tour
- Over 18.5 million Facebook fans and 71 million combined followers on Twitter
Members of boy band One Direction have been filmed smoking a rolled up cigarette and joking about cannabis.Read the full story ›
“I’m pleased that the strike has been called off. Common sense has prevailed and a day of major disruption to thousands of our customers has been averted.
“Metro services will now operate as usual tomorrow and there will still be extra services for the One Direction concert in Sunderland.”
The Rail, Maritime and Transport Union has announced a planned strike tomorrow on the Tyne and Wear Metro has been called off.
The action was due to go ahead on the same day that Britain's biggest boyband, One Direction, was due to perform at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland.
The industrial action was over the sacking of a Metro worker, but has been called off after the RMT came to an agreement with management earlier today,
The details of the settlement have not been revealed.
The biggest boy band in the world is performing at the Stadium of Light in Sunderland tomorrow night. Police are reminding concert goers to plan ahead.
Officers are asking fans to make sure they have their 'keys, money, phone and plans to get home'. They're encouraging people to be sensible with alcohol too.
"Events like this are great for the region and I'm sure it's going to be a night that thousands of people will never forget.
"Make use of the wristbands and make sure you are familiar with the layout of the stadium and if you have any problems then speak to an officer or a security official.
"We want everyone, especially younger people, to look out for their friends to make sure everyone enjoys their evening and gets home safely."
Over 50,000 fans will pack the Stadium of Light in Sunderland on Wednesday for One Direction's show.
External courtyard areas will open after 2:30pm on the day, with the main stadium gates open from 5pm. One Direction’s support act, 5 Seconds of Summer, are set to take to the stage at 6:50pm, with the main act due on at 8:15pm.
- 2:30pm External courtyards open
- 4:30pm Hospitality entrances open
- 5pm Stadium gates open
- 6:50pm 5 Seconds of Summer on stage
- 8:15pm One Direction on stage
- 10pm Show ends
One Direction fans attending the show at the Stadium of Light will be using a colour coding system at the venue.
The stadium will be divided into RED, BLUE, GREEN and YELLOW. These designated zones are highlighted at the bottom of the concert tickets and the entry points around the stadium will be signposted on the day.