Live updates


Rail line reopens after landslip closure

The huge operation to clear a landslip in Northumberland has been completed and services have resumed.

There were no trains between Hexham and Prudhoe and passengers were ferried on a replacement bus service.

That finally came to an end today when the line reopened after a huge operation to rebuild the bank. Kris Jepson reports:

Prudhoe - Hexham line remains closed after landslip

The Northern Rail line between Prudhoe and Hexham is likely to remain closed until the end of the month after a landslip last week.

The rail operator have said that work is continuing to rebuild the embankment.

The landslip was between Corbridge and Riding Mill in the Farnley area.

tonnes of material is estimated to have to be removed from the site.

A replacement bus service is running between Prudhoe and Hexham.

Network Rail contractors are onsite and working to repair the damage.

Click here for real time journey information.

Work continues to clear trees from Tyne Valley rail line

Network Rail say they don't know how long it might take to clear the Tyne Valley rail line, between Newcastle and Carlisle, after a second landslip in the Hexham area in two days.

The scene Between Hexham and Corbridge. Credit: Northern Rail

120 tonnes of rubble and trees slid onto the track between Hexham and Corbridge this morning - just hours after the line had re-opened following yesterday's landslide in the same area.

There are replacement buses between Prudhoe and Hexham.


Man arrested after Prudhoe disturbance

Police have arrested a man following a disturbance in Prudhoe on Sunday, September 20.

Officers received a report of an altercation between two men who knew each other at around 3.30pm. One of the men is thought to have been in possession of a firearm and possibly a knife.

A 31-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of possessing a firearm shortly before 2.00am on Monday, September 21.

The man remains in custody as enquiries and extra police patrols continue

"Residents may have noticed additional officers in Prudhoe on Sunday. These officers were making enquiries into the incident and there to speak to the local community. Searches were carried out and I can reassure residents that a 31-year-old man has now been arrested.

"Enquiries are currently ongoing into the incident and anyone who may have any information to help, please get in touch. It is believed the people involved are all known to each other and there was no threat to the wider public."

– Kevin Oates, Neighbourhood Inspector

Anyone with any information which may help is asked to contact police on 101 ext 69191 quoting reference 703 20/09/15.

Teenager raped in Prudhoe - appeal for information

Police are investigating a rape in Prudhoe, Northumberland.

At 7.06pm yesterday evening, Wednesday, June 24th, police received a report of a teenager having been assaulted by a man who had approached her on Highfield Lane.

The offender is described as white, pale complexion with brown stubble on his chin, possibly in his mid 30s.

He was wearing a plain black hoody, plain black jogging bottoms, blue Nike air trainers with a bright orange tick. He was also wearing black gloves.

Detectives are keen for any witnesses to get in contact.

It's thought a man was walking three dogs in the area at the time and may be a key witness and officers are keen for him to get in contact.

Specially trained officers are continuing to support the victim.

We're asking for the public to help us in identifying the man who is responsible for this horrific incident and would ask anyone who has information to come forward and speak to us. We recognise this is a concerning incident for the local community and have additional officers in the area, however, I'd like to reassure residents that at the current time we do not believe this is linked to any other incidents of this nature. Officers are continuing to offer support to the victim and will continue to do so throughout the investigation. I really would urge anyone with any information, no matter how insignificant they think it may, to get in contact with us."

– Chief Inspector Steve Readdie, Northumbria Police
Load more updates