Live updates



Man arrested on suspicion of attempted murder after Shildon stabbing

A man, 49, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, after a stabbing in Shildon, County Durham.

A man suffered stab wounds on May 23. He is currently in custody at Bishop Auckland police station.

The victim, aged 44, remains in a stable condition in hospital and is receiving treatment for a number of stab wounds to his body.

“Enquiries are ongoing and I would like to thank the people of Shildon for their patience and the support they have given to the investigation since this incident happened.”​

– Det Chief Insp Victoria Fuller

The emergency services were called to a house in Oaklea shortly after 2pm on Sunday following reports a man had been stabbed several times.

Officers believe the incident actually took place at a different address, elsewhere in Shildon.

Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers, 0800 555111.

Mother jailed for taking poison to terminate pregnancy

A woman from County Durham who took poison she bought on the internet to terminate her unborn son has been jailed for two-and-a-half years.

Natalie Towers wept in the dock as she was jailed this afternoon. Credit: Durham Police

Natalie Towers, 24, of Adams Street, Shildon, collapsed wailing in the dock at Newcastle Crown Court when she was sentenced to serve two years and six months behind bars.

Mr Justice Jay said: "This offence does involve extinguishing life about to begin."

He gave her credit for admitting the charge of administering poison with intent to procure a miscarriage while 32-34 weeks' pregnant at a previous hearing, but said an immediate custodial sentence had to be passed and it could not be suspended.

The judge told her: "Despite attempts made by the paramedics and hospital, the child could not be saved. "Both paramedics were obviously distressed by what they saw. "I am satisfied the baby was already dead when delivered.

Towers, who has a child from a previous pregnancy which she concealed, wept throughout the sentencing hearing.

Load more updates