A man remains in police custody after police officers found a large amount of suspected firearms and explosive material at homes in Darlington and Shildon.
Bomb disposal experts attended all three addresses on Saturday (15th December) and have confirmed the areas are safe with no ongoing risk or danger to the public
No further details have been given.
Burglaries of empty properties and anti-social behaviour has sparked a joint-forces initiative to tackle the problem in Shildon.Read the full story ›
The Shildon Alive community hub has become so popular it is now searching for bigger premises to take on demand.Read the full story ›
A teenager from Shildon, County Durham, has appeared in court charged with murdering a man outside a tube station in London.Read the full story ›
Friends and family of Kieran Maxwell have gathered in County Durham for his funeral.Read the full story ›
A teenager who suffered 90 per cent burns in a house fire in Shildon, County Durham is fighting for his life.Read the full story ›
A man, 49, has been arrested on suspicion of attempted murder, after a stabbing in Shildon, County Durham.
A man suffered stab wounds on May 23. He is currently in custody at Bishop Auckland police station.
The victim, aged 44, remains in a stable condition in hospital and is receiving treatment for a number of stab wounds to his body.
“Enquiries are ongoing and I would like to thank the people of Shildon for their patience and the support they have given to the investigation since this incident happened.”
The emergency services were called to a house in Oaklea shortly after 2pm on Sunday following reports a man had been stabbed several times.
Officers believe the incident actually took place at a different address, elsewhere in Shildon.
Anyone with information is asked to contact police on 101 or Crimestoppers, 0800 555111.
A town in County Durham is set to undergo public regeneration work in preparation for the visit of the Flying Scotsman on July 16Read the full story ›
A woman from County Durham who took poison she bought on the internet to terminate her unborn son has been jailed for two-and-a-half years.
Natalie Towers, 24, of Adams Street, Shildon, collapsed wailing in the dock at Newcastle Crown Court when she was sentenced to serve two years and six months behind bars.
Mr Justice Jay said: "This offence does involve extinguishing life about to begin."
He gave her credit for admitting the charge of administering poison with intent to procure a miscarriage while 32-34 weeks' pregnant at a previous hearing, but said an immediate custodial sentence had to be passed and it could not be suspended.
The judge told her: "Despite attempts made by the paramedics and hospital, the child could not be saved. "Both paramedics were obviously distressed by what they saw. "I am satisfied the baby was already dead when delivered.
Towers, who has a child from a previous pregnancy which she concealed, wept throughout the sentencing hearing.
Armed robber Shaun McKerry - who was caught on CCTV battling with the owners of a Post Office - has been jailed for six years.Read the full story ›