Durham Police's Deputy Chief Constable Stephen Watson has been selected as the new Chief Constable of South Yorkshire Police.
Mr Watson will join South Yorkshire Police later this year having been with Durham Police since June 2015. Mr Watson began his career in 1988:
- 1988- Joined Lancashire Constabulary.
- 2006- Joined Merseyside Police as Chief Superintendent
- Worked for Metropolitian Police as Commander of the East Area (6,000 officers and staff)
- 2012- Senior member of the Olympic Command
- 2015- appointed Deputy Chief Constable for Durham Constabulary
Mr Watson said:
“I have thoroughly enjoyed my time as Deputy Chief Constable in Durham and have met and worked with some fantastic people.
“The force is truly deserving of its outstanding status and I know Durham will continue to deliver the best possible policing service to the people of County Durham and Darlington.”
Ron Hogg, Police, Crime and Victims’ Commissioner said: