Frankland prison murder

Two men accused of killing rapist and fellow inmate Michael Dean Harrison are to appear at Newcastle Crown Court today. Michael Parr has pleaded guilty to killing and disembowelling Harrison. Nathan Mann has not yet entered a plea.

View all 3 updates ›

Family left 'shattered' by prison murder

The family of a man who was murdered while serving an indefinite sentence in prison say they have been left 'shattered' by his death.

Mitchell Harrison was an inmate at HMP Frankland when he was attacked and killed in his cell in October 2011.

Today Michael Andrew Parr, 32, and Nathan Mann, 23 were sentenced to life in prison after being found guilty of the murder.

Our lives have been shattered by Mitchell's horrific murder. His death was cruel and unnecessary. As his family, we live with the pain and heartache that losing Mitchell has caused us.

Now that criminal proceedings are over we await the outcome of the Ombudsman's review of the Prison Service so that we can find out how this terrible crime was allowed to happen.

We would like to thank Durham police for their support and assistance throughout this tragic time. We would like to be left in peace and for our privacy to be respected.

– Statement from Mitchell Harrison’s family

Harrison was found dead in his cell after being attacked by Parr and Mann, who used make-shift tools fabricated from toothbrushes and razor blades. He had been disembowelled.

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman will carry out an investigation into circumstances surrounding his death.

Mitchell Harrison was a young man who was by all accounts a model prisoner at HMP Frankland. Although his family never condoned his past actions, he was still their much loved son and brother and they were supporting him as he served his custodial sentence. His untimely death, and the horrific nature of it, left his family devastated.

The Prisons and Probation Ombudsman is carrying out an independent investigation into the circumstances surrounding Mitchell’s death. We are offering every assistance and await the findings.

– DCI Steve Chapman, Durham Police

More top news