Freedom of Information requests were sent to almost every council in the region. Some were unable to provide exact figures. The full breakdown of council tax arrears from North East councils who responded to our Freedom of Information requests is listed below:
- Durham County Council: £23,320,942
- Newcastle City Council: £15,673,796
- Darlington Borough Council: £4,179, 119
- Sunderland City Council: £9,500,000
- Gateshead Borough Council: £7,025,726
- Northumberland County Council: £12,994,114
More top news
Steve Bruce's appointment has not gone down well with several Newcastle United fans.
After weeks of speculation about who will take over at Newcastle United, Steve Bruce has been announced as the new head coach.
It was 50 years ago today, July 16, that the Saturn 5 rocket blasted off from Kennedy Space Center - destination: the Moon.