Parents campaigning for a new free school in Ingleby Barwick on Teesside said they were "devastated" the application for planning permission had been turned down, because they "had hoped the council would see sense".
The school has been approved by the Department for Education and is due to open this year, but plans for a purpose-built building were rejected by councillors.
Unfortunately it is the result we expected. It is up to the landowner and the developers to appeal the decision - it was their application - but this is not the end of the journey for Ingleby Manor Foundation Trust.
More top news
Armed police were called to a house in Horden village after reports of a disturbance
Officers were called following an altercation in Consett on Thursday December 5.
Newcastle United manager Steve Bruce has said he plans to carefully manage striker Andy Carroll as plans to get the very best from him.