Advertisement

Young dentist killed by 'ketamine cocktail' could have been saved if she'd got help

A young dentist who died after taking a 'cocktail' of ketamine and heroin could have been saved if she had got medical help sooner.

Mariam Ali Shaabam Hussain Khesroh, 24, a Leeds student from Kuwait, was found dead in Harrogate in April 2013.

She will never know that she passed her final exams.

The inquest heard that the drugs had contributed to Mariam’s death and that it could have been avoided if she'd got help sooner.

But instead, Mariam was dragged behind a building and left by the bins.

Assistant Coroner for North Yorkshire, Geoff Fell recorded a verdict of misadventure on 26 February.

I was dismayed to hear a number of witnesses talk in a blasé way about the use of ketamine as a ‘party’ drug. This drug is a horse tranquiliser and unfortunately the misuse of this drug has contributed to the death of Mariam.

I would strongly urge against the use of illegal drugs. If anybody does use them and suffers any adverse affect, especially and in particular with laboured breathing, they need immediate emergency medical assistance. In that situation ring 999 and ask for an ambulance. You could save a life.

Her death could have been avoided and this is a waste of a talented young life.

– Det Sgt Steve Menzies, Harrogate CID