A two-year-old boy who spent five days in a coma after choking on a grape at a Pizza Hut restaurant has died.
Jacob Jenkins was rushed to hospital after the incident in Hartlepool on Friday, October 9.
Doctors at the Royal Victoria Infirmary in Newcastle were hoping to take Jacob off life-support this morning, but after further tests his parents David and Abigail chose to let Jacob die at the same time as dozens of his supporters released yellow balloons on the seafront at Seaton Carew.
Jacob's mother said: "Me and David want to thank every single person for the support over these awful last few days.
"Jacob has gained his Angel wings at 7pm as you all set off your balloons.
"There was nothing else that could be done for Jacob, and as hard as it was we chose that time because we knew he would be in thousands of people's minds at that moment."
The couple also thanked people "for every word, every picture and every prayer".
Thousands of people have voted for a plane to be named after two-year-old Jacob Jenkins, who died after choking on a grape.
After the tragic death of toddler Jacob Jenkins, take a look at NHS guidance on what to do if a child is choking.
Hundreds of people lined the streets of Hartlepool today to pay their respects to Jacob Jenkins.