Fundraising page in memory of Jacob Jenkins exceeds £20k target

A fundraising page set up in memory of toddler Jacob Jenkins has exceeded its £20,000 target.

The two-year-old died five days after choking on a grape in Hartlepool in October.

View all 18 updates ›

Parents issue warning after their toddler dies after choking

The parents of a toddler who died after choking on a grape have issued a warning to other families in the hope it will help save lives.

Jacob and his family. Credit: Family photo

Two-year-old Jacob Jenkins had been in the local Pizza Hut with his mother Abigail Wilson and father David Jenkins when the piece of fruit became lodged in Jacob's throat.

Despite them both being first aid-trained, the couple were unable to clear the obstruction and Jacob died later in hospital.

The tragic news prompted a huge reaction in the town, with a seafront vigil taking place and more than £20,000 being raised online.

Hundreds of mourners also lined the streets for the toddler's funeral.

Abigail Wilson has now spoken out about what happened and has urged parents to make sure they cut up their children's food.

We want other parents to know the dangers and to try to help avoid anyone else having to go through what we have - it has been completely devastating.

It is important that mums and dads cut up food for their little ones so it's small enough to swallow without getting stuck".

– Abigail Wilson, speaking to The Northern Echo

Abigail Wilson said it was really important that parents give their children their full attention as they eat to avoid another tragedy.

She also thanked the people of Hartlepool for their "incredible" support.

More on this story