Potentially lethal chemicals have been stolen after a burglary at a farmhouse in South Hetton on Friday, December 4th.
Amongst other items, two five litre tubs of a poison called Cymag were taken. The containers, which look like paint tins, are orange and red in colour and contain a white powder. If the powder comes into contact with water it turns into the lethal gas hydrogen cyanide.
A tin of ‘Sheepdip’ de-licing product was also stolen. While not considered as hazardous as Cymag, this can also be dangerous if it is swallowed or comes into contact with skin.