Redcar RNLI have issued a bank holiday warning about the perils of being trapped by the tide at Saltburn.
Already in 2016 there have been four emergencies at Huntcliff, involving 10 people, who have found themselves cut off by the rising tide.
Dave Cocks, Lifeboat Operations Manager at Redcar RNLI says:
The RNLI offers the following advice to anyone using the beach:
- Check the tide times before you venture out to place where you could get trapped.
- Always look for areas of the beach patrolled by lifeguards. Look for the yellow and red flags.
- Never swim on your own. Always have someone with you who can raise the alarm.
- If you go on the sea in any sort of craft, always wear a lifejacket.
- If you get into difficulties, dial 999 or 112 and ask for the coastguard. Stay calm and stay on the line. Otherwise, raise your arm in the air and shout for help.