A BAE Systems source said the proposed merger was seen as an "opportunity" rather than an "absolute necessity" for the company.
The company has won a number of contracts this year, including:
- £149 million for Typhoon and Tornado support to the RAF
- £446 million for Typhoon support across other countries including Germany, Italy and Spain
- £116 million for production of aircraft fuselage assemblies
- £328 million for the design and development of the replacement Vanguard Class submarine
- £1.6 billion to supply aircrew training to the Royal Saudi Air Force
It has not taken long since the collapse of the proposed merger with Franco-German company EADS for the BAE board to be put under pressure.
The EADS and BAE mega merger is not going to go ahead, at least for now.
Talks between the two major defence companies continued into the night as they look to strike a deal.