- Police entered a residence in Aurora, Colorado, after several hours of failed negotiations with the gunman, who had barricaded himself inside.
- The gunman fired shots at police from a second-storey window before he was killed as SWAT officers stormed the building. It is not yet known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.
- Inside the building officers found three other people shot dead.
- One person inside had escaped and alerted authorities.
- Officials notified neighbours of an emergency around 3:00am local time (10:00am GMT) and evacuated several blocks, Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told KUSA-TV.
The fatal shootings in Aurora come six months after a man shot dead 12 people and wounded 58 more at a cinema in the city.
More top news
The host of Lorraine told the US businesswoman that she ‘didn’t answer any of the questions’ that were put to her.
The leaders of the Conservatives, Labour and the Liberal Democrats will each make a speech on stage at the InterContinental London - The O2.
There is fresh heartbreak for the family of missing Milton Keynes teenager Leah Croucher after the death of her older brother.