- Police entered a residence in Aurora, Colorado, after several hours of failed negotiations with the gunman, who had barricaded himself inside.
- The gunman fired shots at police from a second-storey window before he was killed as SWAT officers stormed the building. It is not yet known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.
- Inside the building officers found three other people shot dead.
- One person inside had escaped and alerted authorities.
- Officials notified neighbours of an emergency around 3:00am local time (10:00am GMT) and evacuated several blocks, Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told KUSA-TV.
The fatal shootings in Aurora come six months after a man shot dead 12 people and wounded 58 more at a cinema in the city.
More top news
The German tennis star and his estranged wife Lilly have accused each other of ‘unreasonable behaviour’.
Martin Cavanagh strangled Sophie Cavanagh at his flat and wrote ‘she deserved it’ on a whiteboard, the trial heard.
People’s Vote campaigners asked judges to decide whether an EU member state can unilaterally revoke the Article 50 withdrawal process.