- Police entered a residence in Aurora, Colorado, after several hours of failed negotiations with the gunman, who had barricaded himself inside.
- The gunman fired shots at police from a second-storey window before he was killed as SWAT officers stormed the building. It is not yet known if officers shot the suspect or if he shot himself.
- Inside the building officers found three other people shot dead.
- One person inside had escaped and alerted authorities.
- Officials notified neighbours of an emergency around 3:00am local time (10:00am GMT) and evacuated several blocks, Aurora police spokeswoman Cassidee Carlson told KUSA-TV.
The fatal shootings in Aurora come six months after a man shot dead 12 people and wounded 58 more at a cinema in the city.
More top news
Scotland Yard has not identified the suspect in the case, but here's everything we know so far.
A senior Tory has hailed the return to physical-only Commons proceedings, despite a colleague becoming visibly unwell in the chamber.
Police are appealing for the public's help in solving the Madeleine McCann case, after announcing a child sex offender was the new suspect.