ITV News can exclusively reveal that the number of images of child sex abuse reported to the Internet Watch Foundation has increased by 40% this year.
Whilst the volume has increased, the age of those featured has decreased: The vast majority of illegal images feature a child under 10.
- The volume of child abuse images reported grew by 40% year on year
- 88% of the material features the abuse of children under ten (an increase of 7% from last year)
- 61% of the images feature rape and torture
- 77% of the images feature girls (up 11% from last year)
- 10% of images feature both boys and girls (down 7% from last year)
- 12% of the images feature boys (down 5% from last year)
Technology giants and the Government have agreed a new approach to tackling online child abuse images.
A former Child Exploitation and Online Protection Centre chief is sceptical about what the summit to tackle child abuse images will achieve.
The volume of images of child abuse may have grown slowly, but their numbers now represent a change of a horrifying nature.