RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
Calm & dry but feeling cold after a freezing frosty
The IMF’s assessment of the UK prospects over next two year is relatively upbeat.
Equal pay, diversity, political bias, the licence fee - all have placed the BBC under a critical spotlight, writes Arts Editor Nina Nannar.