RBS is reportedly seeking to invoke an EU rule that will allow it to double its cap for bonuses to senior staff if approved by shareholders.
Bonuses the 'Big Five' banks paid to staff in 2012:
- Barclays - paid 428 staff more than £1 million (Source: Reuters)
- HSBC - paid 204 of its staff more than £1 million (Source: The Guardian)
- RBS - paid out £607 million in staff bonuses (Source: Reuters)
- Lloyds Banking Group - paid £365 million (Source: Lloyds)
- Santander - paid 19 of its bankers more than £1 million (Source: The Times)
More top news
A better end to the day with late sunshine
HS2 chairman Allan Cook has written to the Department for Transport to warn that it cannot be completed for the original £55.7bn budget.
Oil and gas prices will be affected if tensions in the area continue, according to a leading authority on British shipping.