Piers Morgan has confirmed that he was interviewed by officers investigating phone hacking in December.
Metropolitan Police said a 48-year-old journalist was "interviewed under caution", although a spokesman refused to confirm the name of the individual.
In a statement to The Guardian through a spokesperson, Mr Morgan said:
In early November I was asked to attend an interview by officers from Operation Weeting when I was next in the UK.
This was further to a full witness statement I had already freely provided. I attended that interview as requested on 6 December 2013.
Morgan, who is now a presenter on CNN, was editor of the Daily Mirror from 1995 until 2004.
More top news
The Democratic presidential candidate may also have shown his cards on his choice of running mate.
The US president also shared a post on Twitter accusing Dr Anthony Fauci of misleading the public over hydroxychloroquine.
Fears over an impending second wave of coronavirus dominates Wednesday’s front pages.