Brusthom Ziamani will serve at least two-thirds of his 22-year sentence before being eligible for parole, sentencing judge Timothy Pontius said.
The 19-year-old was found guilty of preparing an act of terrorism on or around August 20 last year during a trial at the Old Bailey.
A realistic and sensible assessment of the whole of the evidence leads inescapably to the conclusion that this defendant, had he not by sheer good fortune been spotted and stopped by the police on the street in east London, would have carried out the intention he had so graphically expressed to his ex-girlfriend just a few hours before.
More top news
Canada’s Global Affairs department said it was ‘working very hard to ascertain his whereabouts’.
Brexit and Theresa May’s future make the papers both home and abroad.
Supreme Court justices will announce their decision on a challenge brought by the UK Government’s top law officers.