1. National

Student died after accidential 'toxic diet pill' overdose

A student died after accidentally taking an overdose of highly toxic diet pill drugs, a coroner has ruled.

Eloise Parry, 21, died on April 12 after taking eight pills containing the highly toxic drug Dinitrophenol, known as DNP.

Ms Parry - who suffered from bulimia - sent a message to her college lecturer on the morning of her death, which said "I think I am going to die", an inquest was told.

View all 11 updates ›

Coroner to write to health minister about 'toxic' diet drug

A coroner has said he will write to the health minister about the "toxic and fatal" drug dinitrophenol, also known as DNP, after ruling that 21-year-old Eloise Parry died of an accidental overdose of the 'diet pill'.

Senior Coroner for Shropshire, John Ellery, said: "What is clear, is she took DNP in relation to her eating disorder, and her death was an accidental consequence."

Eloise Parry died in April after taking dinitrophenol tablets, also known as DNP. Credit: NHS Choices

This is a clearly a dangerous, toxic and fatal substance which should not be accessible and certainly not to persons seeking online self-prescribed medication.

– Senior Coroner for Shropshire, John Ellery.

He added: "If the minister considers it appropriate to see whether DNP should be a classified substance that would be an appropriate outcome from this inquest."

More on this story