1. National

Student died after accidential 'toxic diet pill' overdose

A student died after accidentally taking an overdose of highly toxic diet pill drugs, a coroner has ruled.

Eloise Parry, 21, died on April 12 after taking eight pills containing the highly toxic drug Dinitrophenol, known as DNP.

Ms Parry - who suffered from bulimia - sent a message to her college lecturer on the morning of her death, which said "I think I am going to die", an inquest was told.

View all 11 updates ›

Inquest begins into death linked to 'toxic diet pills'

An inquest will be held today on a 21-year-old woman who is thought to have taken "diet pills" containing a highly toxic chemical.

Eloise Parry, 21, who died after taking diet pills Credit: West Mercia Police

Eloise Parry died at the Royal Shrewsbury Hospital in April, prompting police to issue a warning about the dangers of buying medicines and supplements online.

Officers from West Mercia Police said tablets taken by Miss Parry were believed to include a quantity of dinitrophenol, also known as DNP.

The industrial chemical, which is unfit for human consumption, has been linked to several deaths in the UK and was the subject of an Interpol warning notice issued to 190 countries in May.

The inquest into Miss Parry's fatal collapse is due to be heard in Shrewsbury by the Senior Coroner for Shropshire, John Ellery.

More on this story