Advertisement

  1. National

Seamus Daly released from prison after Omagh bomb charges dropped

Seamus Daly has been released from prison after his prosecution for the Omagh bomb attack collapsed before it reached trial.

The case against Mr Daly, who was charged with murdering 29 people in the 1998 Real IRA outrage, was dropped in court on Tuesday morning.

Mr Daly, 45, had been on remand in prison since being charged with the atrocity and a range of other terror offences in April 2014.

View all 7 updates ›

Dad of Omagh victim hits out amid case collapse claims

The father of one of the victims of the 1998 Omagh bomb attack has hit out amid reports of an imminent collapse of the prosecution of a man accused of the murders.

Michael Gallagher, whose son Aiden was among 29 people to be killed in the Real IRA bombing, expressed outrage that families have been kept in the dark.

Michael Gallagher's son Aiden was killed in the 1998 bombing, which inflicted the greatest loss of life of any terror atrocity in the history of the Northern Ireland Troubles. Credit: Paul Faith/PA Archive

The case against 45-year-old County Armagh bricklayer Seamus Daly - who denies involvement in the bombing - will be mentioned at a court in Ballymena later this morning.

Court proceedings are currently subject to reporting restrictions.

Mr Gallagher said he was unhappy that information was circulating about the collapse of the case while the families had not been notified.

"We have been failed once again by the police service, by the prosecution service, by the government and by the criminal justice system," he said.

More top news