Advertisement

F1 bosses still unsure of qualifying format

Bernie Ecclestone speaks to the media in Bahrain. Credit: PA

Formula One's rulemakers have once again failed to reach an agreement on whether to ditch the sport's unpopular new qualifying format.

After a 90-minute meeting in the paddock ahead of Sunday's Bahrain Grand Prix, the sport's team bosses, FIA president Jean Todt and chief executive Bernie Ecclestone could not reach a unanimous verdict.

It means the elimination-style format which flopped in Australia, and again in Bahrain on Saturday, could remain in place for the next race in China.

The FIA and Ecclestone tabled several new proposals in Sunday's meeting - the specifics of which have not been made public - and they will be discussed again in another meeting on Thursday.

Toto Wolff, the Mercedes boss, claimed the teams wanted to revert back to last year's format, but their suggestion was blocked by Todt.

"We can understand the challenges the FIA and the commercial rigthsholder have," Wolff said. "They said that 2015 is not acceptable for them as it was not good enough and we have to accept it.

"The main message from the team was, please no experiments."