Advertisement

Rebels slaughter 30 in Congo's deadliest massacre this year

Suspected rebels have killed at least 30 civilians in the Democratic Republic of Congo, the army said - making it the deadliest massacre in the conflict-stricken country so far this year.

Local army spokesman Mak Hazukay said the militants were believed to belong to the Allied Democratic Forces, a Ugandan Islamist group which has operated in eastern Congo since the 90s.

They struck the village of Rwangoma, about 5km (3 miles) south of the commercial hub of Beni on Saturday night at around 7pm local time (6pm BST).