The father of the Afghanistan-born suspect in the New York bombing attacks over the weekend reportedly told police two years ago that his son was a terrorist - but later retracted his statement.
Two senior law enforcement officials told the New York Times that Ahmad Khan Rahami's father had reported his son to police as a terrorist in 2014 after Rahami was arrested for stabbing his brother.
The official said the FBI looked into the matter, but that Mohammad Rahami, retracted his comment and said he meant his son was spending time with the wrong crowd.
The FBI reviewed its databases and found no credible connection to terrorism or threat to the US from the son, the official said.
The newspaper also reported that another official said Rahami was carrying a notebook containing writings sympathetic to jihadist causes when he was captured following a shoot-out on Monday.
Authorities are investigating whether Ahmad Rahami, who was not on US counter-terrorism lists, acted alone or as part of a terror cell.
Investigators studying CCTV footage may have identified the same man at each location, law enforcement sources reported to have said.
At least 29 people have been injured in an explosion which rocked Manhattan. Here's what we know so far.