Giants top league after wins over Steelers and Storm

The Belfast Giants celebrate their win over the Steelers in Sheffield. Credit: Dean Woolley

The Belfast Giants sealed a four-point weekend when they beat the Sheffield Steelers on Sunday, after Saturday’s win over Manchester Storm.

Adam Keefe's Giants are continuing their lengthy run of away games while still struggling with the impact of injuries and suspensions.

However, they have now found a way to win five out of their last six games - all on the road – and sit top of the Elite League standings, albeit with games in hand.

Sunday saw them take the lead in Sheffield with a cannon of a shot from all-time leading goal scorer Colin Shields mid-way through the opening period.

Colin Shields scored the Giants' opener against the Steelers. Credit: Dean Woolley

There was an equaliser from the Steelers’ Colton Fretter to cancel it out though and the sides were all square heading into the second period.

The Giants retook the lead when Jim Vandermeer picked out Brendan Connolly and he fired the puck home to make it 2-1 to the visitors.

The Giants and Steelers battled it out in Sheffield. Credit: Dean Woolley

And the third period saw the Belfast side open up a two-goal lead with a great goal from Darcy Murphy.

The Steelers’ Rob Dowd made it a one-goal game again with just over five minutes to go, but the Giants held out to take the victory.

The Giants have played the Steelers four times this season - and beaten them every time. Credit: Dean Woolley

It came after Saturday’s 6-4 win for the over Manchester – when the Storm actually took the early lead through a Mike Hammond goal in the first period, before the visitors battled back in the second.

Jim Vandermeer provided the Giants’ equaliser with a slapshot from the blue line, before David Rutherford put them into the lead just about three minutes later.

The Giants' Jim Vandermeer in action against the Storm. Credit: Mark Ferris

The Belfast side’s scoring streak continued when Sébastien Sylvestre made it 3-1 with his goal.

The Storm found a way to keep themselves in it though, with a goal from Nate Fleming and a second of the night from Hammond to tie the game up.

The Storm's Mike Hammond scored twice against the Giants. Credit: Mark Ferris

Giants captain Blair Riley edged his team ahead again though, scoring shorthanded to head into the final period 4-3 up.

Matt Beca found the net to level things at 4-4 less than a minute into that third period.

Giants captain Blair Riley scored the game winner. Credit: Mark Ferris

While the Giants left it late, they ensured they got the road win with a game winner from Riley with just 76 seconds left on the clock.

And they sealed the 6-4 result with an empty net goal from Steve Saviano – the number 12 scoring with 12 seconds to spare.

The Belfast Giants are next in action against the Fife Flyers in Scotland on Saturday for the first leg of their Challenge Cup quarter-final.